CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I rent a home. the washing machine is 14 months old and

Customer Question

hi there. i rent a home. the washing machine is 14 months old and broke 9 days ago. i had it looked at and the cost to repair was 780.00. given that fee, i am not going to replace it as the lease is up on septmeber 1st. do i have to replace that machine for the 10 remaining days the house is under lease? i am not renting it after sept 1st and i want to know if legailly i have to pay for them to go to laundramat or repair / replace washer. thank you. i live in rhode island
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i live in rhode island. thank you. i provided the unit with appliances.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, given there are 10 days left after the 2 week period of which it is broken and they are not staying i don't want to go that route. . . i just want some advice. thank you again
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no, pretty simple...should i be paying for the laundry expense over the last week or so of august.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this inconvenience - it appears the machine broke at an unfortunate time.

You are responsible for providing the service to your tenants that was agreed to at the time that you entered into the lease agreement. Providing them with monetary compensation to do their wash at a local laundromat should be adequate to cover this - as opposed to the time and expense of replacing the entire machine for less than 2 weeks.

The tenants have a claim for not just the quarters dropped in the machine but also their time, so consider trying to offer them an amount you can agree on as being "reasonable" (whatever the two of you find to be a "mutually agreeable resolution" to this) to cover this inconvenience - it should cover the inconvenience of laundering their clothes for a week.