Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Mother co-owned her home other owner died 40 yrs ago no will

Customer Question

mother co-owned her home other owner died 40 yrs ago no will 5 surviving grand children mother needs nursing home can she give her grandson her share of house does she own whole house
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

First, your mother can transfer/deed her grandson her interest in the house.....all that requires is her to execute and file a deed to the grandson.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

As for whether or not your mother owns the entire house, that depends on how the ownership interest was held between your mother and the other co-owner. If the ownership was held as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then your mother should be the fee simple owner of the property if she outlived the other owner. But, if there is no joint tenancy, then your mother would likely on 1/2 and the heirs of the deceased owner would own the other 1/2.