Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Is a wife responsible for payments of a foreclosed house

Customer Question

Is a wife responsible for payments of a foreclosed house that she moved out of? If the wife and husband got a divorce and the only person's SSN that was on the original contract was the husband, is the wife still responsible? Also, why do the defendants have to pay for the plaintiff's attorney fees? The husband put the wife's SSN and put the wife's current address and he left to a different country.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

In which State is the property located?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
New Jersey is where the property is located.

Was the husband awarded the property in the divorce decree?

How long ago was the foreclosure?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This matter actually concerns my mother and father. In the divorce decree, the property was awarded to my father but he has left the country and has put that he currently resides at our current address in California. The foreclosure began in 2012.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He does not live with us and never has in California. He put in my mom's social and that's why we've been getting these attorney documents in the mail. However, at the time our house was purchased back in 2004, my mom did not even have an SSN.

I need to ask what was the date of the foreclosure sale or, if confirmation of the sale was required, the date of the confirmation of the sale. Or has the foreclosure process not been completed yet?

Has your mother told the lender that she has no legal interest in the property? Could you please describe the documents she has been receiving a little more?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, she hasn't told the lender she has no legal interest. Her social number was not originally under the house contract so she did not take any action. The foreclosure process has not been completed yet. I have a couple of documents that I will send. I hope that it can provide some help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are some files.