How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 573
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My homeowners insurance issued me a cgeck for a refund which

Customer Question

Hi my homeowners insurance issued me a cgeck for a refund which I cashed to find out later they had put a stop payment on it. With that being said they didnt pay the company so I had to pay them . Now im getting fraud charges due to them stating I made a duplicate check. What can I do? When I originally got the chevk I deposited it into my bank account which had a hold on it. They reversed it back because my husband wasnt on the che k with me and sent a check which wasnt the original one that I could cash somewhere else. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience.

Are you stating that a State Prosecutor has filed a criminal action against you for fraud?

From what you have stated, it sounds like it was just a mix up, and you should be able to deposit the second check, with your husband's and your endorsement.

Related Real Estate Law Questions