Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I live across from a foreclosed home that has harassed us

Customer Question

I live across from a foreclosed home that has harassed us now coming onto the property at night tearing down our no trespassing signs and causing trouble. They are selling drugs and a total chaos in our neighborhood. We have contacted local and state law enforcement which they keep saying that they are on the case. This has been happening from over 1 year. We even contacted the bank that now owns the property. What can we legally do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First of all you need to keep doing what you are doing already and keep reporting every incident that occurs to the police.
Second, if you have not done so already, get video cameras and install them on your property to capture their activities so you can turn over the evidence to the police to assist in prosecution.
Finally, since the bank and nobody else will take action, you can sue the bank since they own the property in foreclosure, for creating a nuisance in the neighborhood and causing your property to lose value and also creating emotional distress and damage to your property. You need to file suit and seek an injunction against the bank as well to force them to take action to evict the occupants of the home and also a restraining order against the family for their threats. You should get a local attorney to assist you on filing this to make this go faster and easier for you.