Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.

I moved into a dwelling that appears to have mold and mildew

Customer Question

I moved into a dwelling that appears to have mold and mildew issues if it is found that the licensed realtor new and covered up those items prior to me moving in and didn't fix any of those items what is the recourse?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you are renting you can break the lease because the landlord must provide a unit that is habitable and safe.

If you purchased the property you can sue the realtor and the previous owner for the non-disclosure and fraud. You r damages would be the cost of the repair and clean up and potentially punitive damages.

You can also file a complaint against the realtor with the State Licensing Board for agents and brokers.

You can reach the Board here:

Real Estate litigation can be complicated. It would be good to contact local counsel to assist you with this. Most attorneys who do this work will meet with you to assess your case for little or no cost. This link can help you find local counsel:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,