Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am the landlord and someone stole natural gas from the

Customer Question

I am the landlord and someone stole natural gas from the utility company on my property. Can I be sued for the loss gas by the utility company. Pleased quote the statue. Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no special statute to quote, it is theft and the landowner or tenant can be held jointly liable for the taking the natural gas from the property. Your liability is vicarious as the landowner and if the gas was taken without the consent of the gas company, as landowner you are liable for what happened on your land. If you have proof of who took the gas, you can name them in the suit as a party who is liable to you (third party suit). So in order for you to not be liable for what was taken from the utilities at your property, you have to third party in the actual party who stole the services and get them to court to have them held liable.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i am liable for what happened on your land. If my tenant robbed a person visiting the tenant home. I would be held as a co-defendant for the robbery?
Thank you for your reply.
That is a person to person crime, it is not the same thing. You can escape liability in this issue, as I said above, by suing the individual who took the gas. For something like this the owner of the property is liable for utilities thefts on their property unless they prove someone else took the utilities. So you have an out against liability, pursuing the party that took the gas. If not, the utility company can attach liability to the land, hence the land owner.