Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I live in a terrace house but my neighbours side wall

Customer Question

I live in a terrace house but my neighbours side wall extends beyond my house. The garden wall is a straight line boundary with his side wall - which I assume means the outside face of the wall is the boundary - so the wall is his, built upon his land. He maintains the garden wall is mine and the responsibility to repair it is mine. There is also a one skin brick extension built upon this wall on his side. The deeds say nothing. How can I determine whose responsibility maintainance of the garden wall is?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had to repeat myself as I forgot my password ***** had to reset it. It is all the same enquiry, not two separate ones.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 4 months ago.

When a property is registered, Land Registry creates a drawing called a ‘title plan’. This will only show the general boundaries of the property, unless the previous owners had worked out the exact boundaries.

You can get a copy of the title plan for any registered property in England and Wales.

Here is a link to help you with the process if you want to dispute the property boundary with your neighbor: https://www.gov.uk/your-property-boundaries

Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know whether you are satisfied with my answer.