Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

Are insurance companies bound by covenants and bylaws of

Customer Question

are insurance companies bound by covenants and bylaws of homeowners associations?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Only indirectly. The insurance company is bound by the terms of the policy to payout for covered losses. The covenants and bylaws may specify certain losses for which the association and members have coverage, but the covenants and bylaws are only binding on the members and the association.

So, the policy may cover some sort of loss based on the covenants, but the insurance company itself is not bound directly by the covenants and bylaws, unless specifically stated in their policy.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.