Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

After making a verbal agreement with me to renew the lease

Customer Question

After making a verbal agreement with me to renew the lease for one year if I paid my landlord money he felt he was owed, can he legally send me an email saying that he will only be leasing the apartment on a month to month basis? He's also going to be starting a construction project that only makes our room uninhabitable, leaving the other two rooms livable. My landlord is a person famous in this town for his abuses to tenants.
We have one other roommate who will continue to live here, but our landlord wants us gone. Now, I live in Alaska where verbal agreements are just as binding as written ones. What do you think?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Since you have the verbal agreement, it is binding. Of course the landlord can argue that there was no verbal agreement. So, hopefully you have a witness to it or some documentation like an email. The landlord cannot evict you without a court proceeding, so the verbal agreement will be a fact you will put forth in your argument that you should not be evicted. Also, a landlord has a duty to make the space habitability, which is called a warranty of habitability. If it is inhabitable, like you are indicating, then you could have a claim against the landlord.

Hello. Do you have any follow up questions? If so, please let me know. Thank you.