Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I'm tenants I rent the garage for more than 3 years 3 days

Customer Question

Hi I'm tenants I rent the garage for more than 3 years
3 days ago landlord call me ask me to move out the end of next month because she wants to rent it to someone else. Did I have the right to say no I explain to her I rent the garage because I have disabilities child but she still want us to move out. I just want to know what is my right as a tenant thanks
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We not signed lease but I have paper that she have my deposit for rent her garage
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through and know how tough it can be. Since there is no lease in place, you would be considered a month to month tenant. When that is the case, landlord or tenant can end/terminate the lease with at least one months notice. Based upon what you shared above, if the landlord advised that you needed to vacate by the end of next month ( i.e. September), then they would have provided you with at least a months notice and as long as it is in writing, to evidence it, would be deemed proper. I understand how hard it can be with your child and their disability but in a situation like this, there is no a defense or legal basis to stay, if the landlord wants you to vacate. Unless you can show that the landlord is discriminating against you and your son because of the disability, you would need to leave, at the end of next month or else they can evict you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!