Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am renting a privately owned condo in County. When moving

Customer Question

I am renting a privately owned condo in King County Washington. When moving in I connected my washing machine to the spigot and the pipe inside the wall broke and caused flooding of my condo and the two below me. Now the owner is threatening me with legal action to pay all associated costs. Is this possible that he can sue me? And I responsible for failure of a pipe failure that is inside the wall? Should I seek legal council?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is this possible that he can sue me?

.

Legally, anyone can sue anyone for anything, so yes, he can try and sue you.

.

And I responsible for failure of a pipe failure that is inside the wall? Should I seek legal council?

.

That is pretty unlikely as long as you just hooked up the washer normally by just tightening up the supply hoses to the spout coming out of the wall. If the pipe burst inside the wall, that would be negligence on the part of the landlord in failing to maintain his property and you aren't liable.

.

If you caused the leak by doing something like getting a huge pipe wrench and tightening the hose so much you broke the pipe, then that would be your fault.

.

But it is likely that the pipe just failed due to age and you aren't responsible.

.

But unless he actually files a suit against you, you don't need to go out and pay an attorney to defend you against something that may not happen. It is likely that if he has insurance it will cover any damages to the other units.

.

.

thanks

.

.