Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

My sister and mom purchased a new 2 family home in brooklyn,

Customer Question

Hi my sister and mom purchased a new 2 family home in brooklyn, ny in 2006. In 2010 the city of NY puts a lien on the home for unpaid taxes. It turns out that the one property they purchased was actually two side by side. The title company claims that she was in formed and the lawyer at the time doesn't remember. She had no problem with paying the taxes that are due to the city because it is her property and she does use it, but is there any way to remove the interest for the amount due which is now $16,000 because she was not aware of it until now. Also the property was just refinanced and the bank was also unaware that the one property is actually two. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hi

If a title company was involved the title insurance policy that your mom and sister received would state that there are two separate real estate tax numbers. Was there one deed with two parcels? Do they have a copy of the deed or the documents that they received when they closed on the purchase? he fact that the lender did not pick this up either on a refinance is troublesome.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ill will call you at 8 est, thanks

You are most welcome.

Check the title policy and the deed and we can see if there were indeed to parcels. If this was not disclosed in the title policy or in the deed(s) they have an action against the title company.

There are other attorneys that can assist if the one they hired will not help. The answer lies in the title company paperwork.

THE ATTORNEYS ON THE SITE DO NOT RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THEIR WORK IF THE CUSTOMER DOES NOT RATE OUR WORK POSITIEVELY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.