Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. experience with Real Estate

I have a group of new tenants that moved in June. They are

Customer Question

I have a group of new tenants that moved in June. They are friends with the previous tenants. The new tenants' lease started on 6/1. In May, my old tenants inform me that their new house won't be ready until 6/7. They had already spoken with their friends/my new tenants and they were okay with them staying the extra week. I told them I didn't mind as long as they work it out as I think it's sublet situation. The new tenants move in on 6/1. I told them that we will clean, paint, etc. after the old tenants move out. They were fine with that. The old tenants ended up delaying the move until 6/10. Now, the new tenants are upset because all the cleaning had to be pushed back. They tried to get compensation from my old tenants though I don't think it was discussed prior to. They had no luck and now they want me to refund half of June rent because the unit "wasn't ready" even though they lived there. I had everything (maintenance/cleaning) taken care of as soon as the old tenants moved out. Do they have any basis?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. As long as the property was habitable and the tenants were able to move in and had no expenses in making the property habitable, you would not have any liability to reduce their rent. Again, this assumes that they had use of the property for the period that they paid rent for. You could, if you would like to smooth things out with the tenants, offer a few days off on their next rental payment, but nothing in what you described would make you legally liable to do so.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 9th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.