RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Ended a lease in April and moved out. Apartment complex

Customer Question

Ended a lease in April and moved out. Apartment complex assessed fees for cleaning, carpet, etc., approx. $600. We disputed two of the charges and emailed the leasing agent about them. She contacted back and said she would review and get back that same day. This was 6/3. After receiving no reply back, she was emailed and called (leaving message) and still no response. The leasing office let the bill go to collections and now it is going to impact my wife's credit score (first late/collection ever). We were prepared to pay what was owed, but with no responses from the leasing agent about this, we got left holding the bag. Now they are telling us that they cannot reverse the collection or credit strike, but have removed the two charges that, just yesterday they said could not/should not be removed. Isn't it possible for them to reverse the collection and any subsequent reporting to the credit bureau?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting.

If the information is incorrect, the remedy under the law is for your wife to get a copy of her credit report (she can get a free copy from each of the three credit bureaus once per year by going to www.annualcreditreport.com) and filing a dispute. If she can get a letter from the apartment indicating that they have removed the charges, even better, because it will support her argument that the charges were incorrect and should be removed.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The debt isn't incorrect. We owe them the money and we are going to pay it. However, they did not follow due diligence in responding back and handling their part of the situation. So that means the onus is still on us to follow behind to the credit bureau to clean up after their mistake?