LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

I am the seller on a home in Glastonbury, Connecticut. The

Customer Question

I am the seller on a home in Glastonbury, Connecticut. The contract closing date was July 29th. They did not close on July 29th and I refused to sign the 14 day extension. I'm no longer interested in selling the home and am not trying to keep the deposit.
They are threatening to sue me for non performance. Can they do this? I live in Fort Myers FL.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The delay was not caused by TRID/CFPB or the CD. The buyers were not ready with their financing etc. Now they want to close on the 12th and I feel there is no contract in place as I did not sign the extension and the closing date expired on the 29th...
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon Rick,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

After a search of CT statutes, I find no law granting the buyer any type of unilateral extension for the closing of the sale, and therefore if you are not willing to grant them an extension of time to get their finances in order, then they are out of luck. Presuming that that there is nothing in the sale contract which would allow them to unilaterally force an extension of time, then you are no obligated to sign any kind of a written extension, not to agree to go forward with the sale of your property.

While many sellers agree to an extension based on a per diem payment by the buyer for the cost to the seller of the late closing. However, you are not obligated to try and negotiate this kind of a remedy.

You cannot prevent them from suing you, however, based on the facts that you have provided, I see no legitimate claim that they might have against you if you refuse to sign an extension at this late date and the closing never occurs.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon Rick,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,