Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

My late husband and I purchased a home 15 yrs. ago in

Customer Question

My late husband and I purchased a home 15 yrs. ago in Tennessee. Approximately one year prior to his death, we divorced but remained in the home together. I received the home in the final decree. I recently remarried and need to know what I should do about removing my late husbands name from the property and adding my current husbands name to the deed or if I should just put it in my name alone?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If the house was never signed over to you solely after the divorce then if you were on the deed as "joint tenants" when husband passed, you automatically became the sole owner without the necessity of doing anything further. If you wanted to remove his name from the formal records for for administrative purposes, you can record a certified copy of his death certificate with the local land records office. They will then update the records to remove husband from the records as an owner.

If you then want to add husband to the deed, you would just have a new deed prepared from you as the Grantor over to you and husband as the Grantees... Then you sign and date it and have it notarized and record it at the local land records office. This would then make husband a half owner of the property.

Or you can just leave it in your sole name if you choose to.