Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I just bought a home at an auction. Do I have to wait until

Customer Question

I just bought a home at an auction. Do I have to wait until I have the deed, before I can take position of the home, or can I ask the current occupants to vacate and go ahead and change the locks, and begin repairs?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: San Antonio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm working with a real estate agent to answer some of these questions. Just thought I would check other resources.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You are not the legal owner of the property until you have a deed to the property. So, you cannot give eviction notice to the occupants of the premises until you have obtained the deed to the property and have the deed recorded.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You are quite Welcome! Make sure to follow-up with the auctioneer as to the timeline for obtaining the Deed.

Best wishes,