Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor

I live in Baltimore md in a condo. This is the 3rd time I am

Customer Question

I live in Baltimore md in a condo. This is the 3rd time I am experiencing water seeping into the condo under the carpet padding and/ or laminate flooring. The 2nd time they had a contractor assess the issue and stated they could not find an issue. That the water/moisture must be coming through the concrete floor. The unit is a garden style so it is half underground. I would assume an issue such as this should be covered by the assoc since it appears to be an issue with the foundation of the unit. Do we have a leg to stand on should we place pressure on the assoc to properly assess and find the issue?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did condo association decline to address the situation or is condo association willing to work with you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The 3rd issue started today. Assuming it's from the heavy rain a week ago. We havent reached oUT until tomorrow morning. I'm assuming we will get the same response as last time. We ended up having to pay to replace the new laminate flooring installed a week prior. We are in a pinch because we have a renter in there.

Thank you for your follow up.

How long ago was the condo built?

Do you have any written determination by a licensed contractor that the issue is structural or related to foundation of the condo?

Do condo bylaws address this type of issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to check bylaws. We were never provided written docs after the contractor came in last time. The assoc mngmnt company told us the water was probably coming through the cement floor. Condo built in the 80s

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally, it would be the condo owner who would be responsible for any damages inside the condo unit, unless the damage is caused by the condo association common element described in the bylaws, in that case the condo association would be liable to fix water damages and and related damages caused by the water damage.

It is important to hire an experienced local licensed contractor who can fully inspect the issue and can make a written determination as of the cause of the water damage, so the homeowner can act accordingly to the cause of the damage.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.