Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I had a house fire and the contractor gutted my house,

Customer Question

I had a house fire and the contractor gutted my house, received over $40,000 and skipped out. He disconnected his number and removed his equipment. What is my recourse since my mortgage company will not receive additional funds since they say the house is barely 35% complete.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file criminal charges against him with your local police/district attorney's office. You also need to file a complaint with the state attorney general's office. Unfortunately, if you do not know where to find this guy, it is going to be next to impossible to sue him to try to recover your money and you are going to need to wait for the police to find him and then you can sue him for the money he took for work he did not complete. This is a theft by fraud case, so you need to convince the DA to take the case against him so you can get your money from your mortgage company.