RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

We begin renting a house on June 1st, when we moved in th

Customer Question

We begin renting a house on June 1st, when we moved in th dishwasher wasn't working and we made notes on the move in sheet. Landlord agreed to fix it. July 3 landlord came to home to inspect themselves and said it would be replaced. Now on August 7 we do not have a dishwasher and no mention of when it will be replaced. What is our best course of action?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You want to write a demand letter, to the landlord, advising that the dishwasher is still broken, it was documented and asked to be fixed when you moved in and to date, was never done. As such, you can advise the landlord at this point, you will either hire someone to repair it on your own and deduct it from the rent or withhold rent, until they fix it. The landlord should have done this within a reasonable amount of time and 2 months later, would not be reasonable.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.