Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

The neighbor behind me has let her grass grow to unhealthy

Customer Question

The neighbor behind me has let her grass grow to unhealthy and unsightly heights. I'm trying to sell my house and when a potential buyer saw her yard, I lost the sale. What legal action can I take? I've complained to the city but the responding officer stated he didn't see any violations.
Pauline King
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulty.

Have you spoken with your neighbor? Most often, this kind of a problem is resolved by you just speaking with your neighbor about your concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spoke with her, unsuccessfully, in the past about our shared fence; but I'll try again.

Thank you for the information.

Yes, that would be a good idea. Shared fence is one thing, but getting a landscaper to mow the lawn is another and relatively cheaper. If she refuses to mow the lawn, you you may offer to have someone come in to mow it. That would be cheaper than taking her to Court, which you would have to do if she refuses to cooperate. The lawsuit would be filed at the Justice of the Peace Court in your District. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.