Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My question is: A leasing company got judgement against me,

Customer Question

My question is: A leasing company got judgement against me, in the state of New York and my bank is holding the funds for one year. I have filed an Affidavit in Support of Order to Show Cause to vacate default judgement. I have also filed a complaint with the Attorney General of New York. FYI: a lease was signed in CA, I live in NV. I would like to wait for the NY Court to approve or deny my request, however, just to get this leasing company off my back, if I agree to make payments, am I jeopardizing my case against them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you make payments, then getting that money back is going to be difficult if you win your claim. So, no paying them would not be a good idea, since you have your case pending and if you pay the leasing company can use that as part of their argument against you that someone who does not owe money would not pay money (not that it is a strong argument, but it is an argument they will make).
Overall, just because of the difficulty getting the money back if you win, you should consider holding off paying them.