Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am a tenant in an apartment complex in New York State. I

Customer Question

I am a tenant in an apartment complex in New York State. I am trying to find another tenant to rent my apartment, and I'm not allowed to sublet. I am advertising on Craigslist and other places, that I am offering the first month's rent free on my apartment, but my apartment manager is telling me to take down the ads because I am not allowed to sublet. Is it legal for me to advertise one month's free rent if I plan on paying hte first month's rent to the person who takes over my apartment so I'm not liable for the remainder of my lease?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. First of all, can you please clarify: Does YOUR lease specifically DISALLOW you to sublet? Or, is it silent on the matter?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure. I don't think it says anything specific because they might have let me sublease if I had been a tenant for longer with them.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. This is very important. Can you confirm, or, do you want me to assume that the lease is SILENT on the matter?