Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How to place a cloud on a Title?

Customer Question

I just want to know how I go about placing a cloud on a title in California. Do I need a lawyer to do this? Can I do it myself? The purpose for putting the cloud on the title is due to a breakdown in a marriage.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.
A cloud is generally considered a lien claim of some kind -- which would require the property owner to owe you money either by agreement (like a promissory note or deed of trust) or through a money judgment OR a claim against the land (such as via a lis pendens claim).
Thus, whether you can lien a property will depend on whether or not you have a legal claim to justify filing a lien against the land.