Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have a son,19 yr old, in college. He and 3 friends thought

Customer Question

I have a son,19 yr old, in college. He and 3 friends thought they would room together this coming year at school. In January of this year they all went to look at apartments. They decided on one. I was totally unaware of what they were doing. My sons says he thought he was completing an online application to be considered for a lease. It was in fact a lease agreement? a month or two after completing the online application him and his friends had a fallen out. He later decided to go with a one bedroom apartment all by himself. Then my wife and him found a place. Of course now he is being contacted by the first apartment saying he has a lease with them. Which again he thought he was simply completing an initial application not a lease. But it was a lease. Now is that binding? I am looking at the lease. they never collected deposit money. They never verified his income or ability to pay, they never checked his credit. I didn't not co-sign? Just wondering if I have any options here. Every other time I have had to get an apartment my credit was checked, My employment and income where verified?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Does the document state that it is a lease agreement and was the document signed by your son and does the document also has all the specific lease terms?