RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

What are my rights as a landlord who has a generic lease

Customer Question

What are my rights as a landlord who has a generic lease with my tenant?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Can you clarify what is generic about the lease? I am not sure I understand what is signed with you and your father and what the situation is

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I printed a lease agreement from an online legal forms site. I filled it out with our information and my father and I signed it. We didn't file it with the courts or anything, we each just have a signed copy.

Thank you and sorry about the delay. The lease is going to control. The terms and conditions which are stated in the lease are going to control. The fact that it was not filed with the court or recorded should not void or result in the lease being invalid. As the landlord, you have every right to say what happens in/on your property, as long as it does not interfere with the lease agreement or your fathers use and enjoyment of the rental. If he is failing to comply with the lease, you can then proceed with eviction if he does not sure

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know