Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

Mom passed away and Dad has Alzheimer's (90yrs of age).

Customer Question

Mom passed away and Dad has Alzheimer's (90yrs of age). Surviving children are my sister and I. My sister has been unemployed for 2yrs. (highly educated) and is trying to keep her house. I've been assisting financially when I can. Should I avoid putting her on the quit claim deed just in case her house goes into foreclosure?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Yes you should, maybe you could buy her out here or otherwise resolve it.If she gets sued and judgments with her name on property it would lien it and prevent you from selling it until paid.You have right idea to keep her name off of it, again if you could buy her interest it would benefit you both.

The lender on her house likely would sue for deficiency so keeping this other property of your moms out of her name is ***** ***** idea given her situation in her own life.You don't want her to be on the title since she may have judgments here soon.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

I wanted to thank you again for the chance to help today, let me know if you have more follow up.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ray, thank you so much. I figured that I should not put her in the quit claim. She's been helpful with our Dad and while Mom was alive. As the the executor of their estate, I just want to make wise decisions. Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You are so welcome and the best to you.