CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I am a female retired police officer who was injured on duty

Customer Question

I am a female retired police officer who was injured on duty and thus medically retired with a disability. I moved to Shell Beach on 6-28-16 and with no reason given, received a handwritten 30 day notice to vacate by the end of August taped to my door.
I have done absolutely nothing wrong--she took my Aug. rent check, and then placed the notice on the door.
She has harassed me by phone, threatened, tried to intimidate, illegal entry without my permission on July 1, 2016, peeping in windows--I reported incident to Pismo Beach Police.
Can you help me? I have impending surgery, am in no physical/emotional condition to move again, nor do I have the funds to do so at this time.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Are you on a "month to month" lease agreement? (In which case the landlord can terminate your lease without cause with only 30 days notice)

Or, do you have a term lease (for example a 12 month lease)? (In which case the landlord cannot terminate your lease without cause - and if they do try to do so, they must go to court with an "unlawful detainer" action to enforce any such eviction).