Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I LIVE IN ON TOP OF THE WORLD, AN ASSOCIATION WITH RULES AND

Customer Question

I LIVE IN ON TOP OF THE WORLD, AN ASSOCIATION WITH RULES AND REGULATIONS. I WAS JUST INFORMED I HAVE TO REMOVE A FENCE FROM MY PORCH, AS IT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH REGULATIONS. I DID TRY TO PUT IN A REQUEST, AND WAS TOLD IT COULD TAKE UP TO 3 MONTHS TO BE APPROVED. I ALSO TRIED TO PUT IN A REQUEST TO PLANT FLOWERS, THE WOMAN IN CHARGE OF TAKING THIS REQUEST DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FLOWERS, (EX. DID NOT KNOW WHAT A LAVENDER PLANT WAS) THEY REQUESTED A DETAILED DRAWING, WITH THE EXACT PLANT NAMES AND HOW MANY OF EACH FLOWER WAS TO BE PLANTED. I AM LIVING ON A LIMITED INCOME, DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT PLANTS AND WAS TRYING TO PLANT THE GARDEN WITHOUT USING A LANDSCAPER. ALSO, THE PLANTS THAT I WAS REPLACING WERE INFESTED WITH BUGS, AND DYING. I HAVE ASTHMA AND AM DIABETIC, AND THE CHOICE IS LEAVE THE GARDEN LOOKING LIKE SOMETHING FROM A HORROR MOVIE OR PLANT WITHOUT PERMISSION, WHICH I ENDED UP DOING. I CANNOT AFFORD TO REMOVE OR REPLACE THE ITEMS, DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Unfortunately, someone in your situation has little recourse. Associations have very strong powers to limit/detail what owners can do with their properties in terms of decorations and maintenance. As such, they have a right to restrict and regulate, and do not even have to provide a request for an exception. If they do, then it is at their discretion and on their schedule. There is no way to expedite. This applies even if you have health problems.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.