Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. experience with Real Estate
19127644

My question is in the state of Iowa Statutory Power of

Customer Question

My question is in the state of Iowa Statutory
Power of Attorney can there be more then one Grantee? If only one then is there a Co grantee? If so does the grantee have to always keep the grantee informed on every thing they do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Although Iowa law allows for "coagents" on a POA, it is not always the best course of action. That is especially true because decisions must be made on a majority rule unless otherwise indicated by the grantor in the "special instructions" on the form (which is also where they add the second coagent's name). Majority rule, with two people, could just end up in a stalemate and wouldn't serve the purposes of the grantor. On the other hand, if the grantor wants to have a second agent as a backup should something happen to the main agent, then in the special instructions, when they add the second, they just need to make clear that the second is to make decision only in the case that the first is unavailable or unwilling to continue in their duties.

You can see the Iowa form which complies with the law, which changed in 2014, at the following link: http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/iowabar.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/IA_Lawyer_Weekly/120_14_Iowa_Statutory_PoA.pdf

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm not sure if you requested the phone consultation, or if the Site did so automatically, however, because of my Bar Ethics rules, I do not provide that service. I am more than willing to answer follow up questions via this forum though for as long as you need clarification.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 1st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.