legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

My mother had a reverse mortgage, She passed away. Home was

Customer Question

my mother had a reverse mortgage, She passed away. Home was worth less than the balance on the loan. Home went thru foreclosure and sheriff sale and was purchased by Fannie Mae. Home is vacant and has been cleaned out. After 30 days of Sheriff deed being recorded in Jackson county Michigan The doors locks were changed and a property management left their card. The electric service is in my name. Does the fact that they changed the locks and locked us out of the house mean the redemption period has ended and I am no longer responsible for the electric service ( the home has a sump pump)? My understanding is I am responsible for damage during redemption period and do not want to flood basement by cutting off electric during redemption period, I called the property managers and let them know electric service would be removed from my name in one week ( I am assuming that redemption period has ended), A man said that he would pass that information along. Question being..Is the redemption period over (it has been more that 30 days after sheriff sale deed was recorded and home is vacant and doors locks changed) and if redemption period is over does that make me no longer responsible for the home in any way, shape, or form?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 2 months ago.

My sympathies for the passing of your mother.

The redemption period is for 6 months from the date of the sheriff's sale (counting the day of the sale) when there is a judicial foreclosure; please see:,4641,7-141-45866-177816--,00.html

That can be accelerated to one month if there is abandonment;

for foreclosures by advertisement, the redemption period is 1 month.

So it depends on the circumstances- if it was deemed abandoned, then one month is sufficient and the redemption period is over; it would be prudent to contact the property manager and ask if the property has been deemed abandoned.

relevant statute here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned 5 stars as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!