Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.
77476456

Have a storage unit that goes under the california storage

Customer Question

have a storage unit that goes under the california storage law, a tenant has started living in the unit. Can I change the locks and lock her out or how do I evict her. She has paid her rent 2 months in advance.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

YES, you can change the locks for her violating the policies and the law by trying to reside in the storage locker. California law for storage locker rentals is completely different than the law is for residential landlord tenant relationships.

Under the California Self-Service Storage Facility Act (Business and Professions Code Section 21700) a violation of the rental terms is grounds for eviction. Unlike landlords, storage facilities are permitted to use self help to enforce the storage rental agreement.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

The problems associated with allowing her to live there are too numerous to list, but include health and safety of the customer and other customers, as well as liability for the Storage Facility.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do i need to give her any written notice

Hello:

Thank you for the excellent follow up question. Provide the fourteen day notice similar to the notice that you provide for non-payment. In this case the Notice will be for violating the storage agreement clause prohibiting living in the Unit.

State in the Notice that she has done so on several occasions (list them if you know) and that she had previously received warnings not to reside in the unit.

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)