Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

I am divorced now for 3 yrs. My ex wife and I both a home

Customer Question

I am divorced now for 3 yrs. My ex wife and I both a home while together. She is currently still living in the home. Both of our names are ***** ***** title/deed. I have asked her if she is willing to buy me out. She says she is unable. Your advice is very much needed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

You will need to force a sale here either by agreement or back through the divorce court.This is really unresolved from the divorce.If ex cannot buy you out then you want a sale here and resolution.It allows you to move on here and frees up your credit.If you have equity you get your share from the sale.

If she won't or cannot buy it you want to press for a sale to a third party here.No other options as I see it.Real common problem.You can motion to modify in divorce court if you have to in order to force resolution here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight and wish you the best here.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is much appreciated, let me know if you have more.Thanks.