legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Is there a statute of limitations in the city of Key West

Customer Question

Is there a statute of limitations in the city of Key West for code violations
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your patience; unfortunately there is no statute of limitations that governs this; I have reviewed the statutes in detail (located here) and this issue is not addressed.

Statute of limitations apply to civil proceedings (as opposed to special proceedings).

This is discussed at great length here

The reasoning behind it is that the city does not have the manpower to enforce the ordinances (ie to police the entire city for violations, especially since many of them are located inside private homes) and so that once the city becomes aware of it (either by happenstance or by a report) they can address it at that time.

I am sorry that this is the case as I'm sure that is not the information you were looking for but I have a moral obligation to provide accurate information.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned 5 stars as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!