You can file a complaint for housng discrimination with the Texas state government and they will prosecute the landlord and get you justice.
Here is the link to file the complaint:
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
If you believe you may have been discriminated against in housing and meet the complaint requirements listed on this page, you may submit a discrimination complaint through the TWC Civil Rights Division.
The Civil Rights Division conducts neutral investigations and gathers information to determine if discrimination has occurred under the Texas Fair Housing Act and rules.
These are a few of the most common housing discrimination allegations:
- The landlord would not rent to me because I have a child.
- The bank would not give me a home loan because I was pregnant.
- The property manager refused to assign me a parking space close to my apartment even though I am mobility-impaired.
Return to Top
To submit a housing discrimination complaint to us, all of these requirements must be met:
- The property must be within the state of Texas.
- The property owner, in most cases, must have more than three properties.
- The date of discrimination must have occurred within the last 365 calendar days before the date you are submitting the complaint.
- Your complaint must specify one or more of the following types of housing discrimination: race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability or familial status.
- Your complaint must identify the housing harm.
Return to Top
How to Submit a Complaint
You must submit your complaint within one year (365 calendar days) from the date of the discrimination. You can submit a housing discrimination complaint to us by postal mail, email, fax, phone, or in person.
Housing Discrimination Complaint Form
You can use our online complaint form below and submit it to TWC or download the word version and either fill it in online and print it or print a blank form and fill it in by hand.
If you will be using assistance in communication (for example, use of assistive technology or an interpreter), include on your complaint form the name and contact information of the person who will be serving as your representative. We will contact you through that person.
How to Submit Your Complaint Form
You can submit an housing discrimination complaint to us through the online form, or by e-mail, by postal mail or in person. Complaints cannot be provided over the telephone.
Mail: TWC Civil Rights, 101 E 15th Street, Rm 144-T, Austin, TX###-##-####br />Email: *****@******.***
Fax:(###) ###-####br />In person:***** Rm 144-T, Austin, TX 78701
It is best for you to use the housing discrimination complaint form if possible. If you are unable to do so, you may begin the complaint process by phone.
Call:(###) ###-####in Texas only(###) ###-####Austin area and out-of-state
Return to Top
As the party making the complaint, you are required to actively participate in the complaint process.
You must include in your housing discrimination complaint form each of the following:
- Your full name, home address and home telephone number
- The name and contact information for the person or organization that discriminated against you (for example, landlord, owner, bank, realtor, property management company, or apartment complex)
- Whether your treatment was because of your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability or familial status
- The address or other identification of the housing involved
- A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your housing rights were violated)
- The date(s) of the alleged violation
- The name and contact information for any witnesses with first-hand knowledge of the alleged discrimination
If your address or phone number change during an investigation, you must notify your investigator immediately.
Your full cooperation is very important during the processing of your complaint, and failure to cooperate may result in a dismissal of your complaint.