LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I am being charged 100% cost for new padding (not carpet) on

Customer Question

I am being charged 100% cost for new padding (not carpet) on 10 to 12 year old carpet/pad. This house was/is a rental for over 8 years. Isn't there a useful life chart on this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning Tricia,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is no chart that one can go to----that is accepted in court----for the average lifespan of carpet and pad in a rental unit. However it is well known that the average lifespan of contractor grade carpeting and pad is 10 years and as such, just normal wear and tear would make it time for the landlord to replace the carpet and pad after 10 years or so.

Unless you had pets which urinated on the carpet, thereby embedding urine chemicals in the pad which is all but impossible to get out and does require replacing most of the time, then there is no legitimate basis for your landlord to hold you responsible for the replacement of the carpet padding. And the withholding of your deposit is inappropriate and probably nothing more than an attempt to "legally steal" from you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Hi Tricia,

Here is a solid article on the issue of average carpet life in a rental unit: http://petriestocking.com/blog/landlord-tenant/what-is-the-life-expectancy-of-the-carpet-or-refrigerator-or-stove-or-hardwood-flooring-in-my-rental-unit

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning Tricia,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with this morning?

Doug