WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

We own a building in a main street. The neighboring business

Customer Question

We own a building in a downtown main street. The neighboring business is attached to our wall. The present owners are considering building a structure above (like a second floor) an attach it to our wall. This is our property and they have not asked permission to build on it. What are the regulations or laws that are in force for this. The building and business is in Brookings, South Dakota zip 57006. If you could give me any information or who I should contact please let me know. My email is***@******.***
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 months ago.

Since you own the wall, under South Dakota law, the neighboring business cannot build anything without your consent. Moreover, they cannot build without a building permit, and the city would never issue one allowing them to build on your wall/property without notifying you first and giving you an opportunity to object, which you are free to do at will.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.