How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 35834
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own 10 acres in Washoe County in Nevada. The assessed

Customer Question

I own 10 acres in Washoe County in Nevada. The assessed value is $1,050. The annual property tax is $28.39. I want to give it to my son. Which is the best way to do it. 1, by Quick Claim Deed now or 2, just leave it to him in my will. I am currently 69 year old.
I own no money on the property and there are no leans on it.
Michael Hadrych ***@******.***
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Yes, your simplest option is to just to do a quitclaim deed from you as the grantor over to son as the grantee, sign it, notarize it, and then record it. That would complete the transfer and since it is under the statutory $14K annual gift tax exemption, there would be no gift taxes on it.


So if you want him to have it now, the quitclaim is the best option. Otherwise, you can add him as a "joint tenant with rights of survivorship" on the deed and then he would instantly inherit it once you passed and it wouldn't have to go through probate...