Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

What if a renter has changed the locks without landlords

Customer Question

What if a renter has changed the locks without landlords approval? Have a renter who did not give me 30 days notice - was moving and 7 days late on rent. Now current after a threat to pay of be moved. Listed property 2 weeks ago and renter said out by end of the month. But went to see if had moved and current key does not fit locks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does the lease prohibit changing the locks?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NOT IN WRITING BUT HAVE NEVER HAD A RENTER BE SO NASTY. WAS UPSET WAS LISTING FOR SALE - THEN NEVER LATE WITH RENT AND WENT OVER TO CHECK PLANTS AND HAD LEFT OPEN - HALF BELONGINGS GONE, WINDOWS OPEN AND AC BLASTING. I TEXTED TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON AND UPSET NO 30 DAY NOTICE TO MOVE AND OBVIOUSLY SMOKING INSIDE WHEN LEASE STATED NO SMOKING INSIDE RESIDENCE. HAVE FIRST AND LAST MONTHS SECURITY DEPOSIT AND RENTER VERY DEFENSIVE ABOUT ALL HE DID FOR CONDO - WAS BEATIFUL AND SITLL IS THANK GOD BUT IF ANYTHING MAJOR RENTER TOOK OFF OF RENT.

Ok, if there is nothing in the lease that prevents it (and there should be..) then it isn't a lease violation for them to change the locks. However, as the landlord you have a right to demand a key for access purposes in the event of an emergency or for inspection purposes.

.

If the tenant refused to give you a key, you can have a locksmith out to change the locks at the tenant's expense. You would then have to post a notice stating the locks have been changed due to you not being able to get in and they need to contact you to get a key.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks