J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I have resided at my address since 5/1/2013. I had only

Customer Question

I have resided at my address since 5/1/2013. I had only dealt with the owner's represent tative, who happened to be his friend and accountant at the time. I rented on a month to month lease. There was discussion of me wanting to purchase after about a year. The owner's rep passed on my offer. She, (owner's rep, Jody Shannon) told me the owner accepted my offer and would have papers drawn up by his attorney.
During the course of the first year, I was given verbal permission through the owner's rep to take caresponsibility of things on the property and told owner would either reimburse or deduct from rent. Things like:
Half of the garage had burned down before I moved in and all the debris that was left over was in a huge pile still on the back part of the garage slab, measuring 25 feet by 40 feet. (3 dump runs) also, the existing garage back wall was collapsing because of dry rot. Landlord gave same permission through rep to repair/rebuild. Refrained back wall of garage which left 18 feet by 25 feet of bare slab exposed. (this becomes issue later)
At end of first year, the plumbing inside the wall of the first bathroom exploded. Not knowing where the water shut off valve was, water ran inside the wall for 2 days! Owner's rep told me to get estimates. Rotorooter's estimate for replacing fixture in wall only was $1,000.
I reassured rep it was something I could handle. Received approval from owner through rep. Fixed plumbing, framing, fixture, tub and shower surround.
Then comes discussion about garage. Rep informed me that owner stated since I was capable as well as had intent to purchase, I was welcome to "reclaim" the rest of the garage slab! So, during course of my tenancy, the garage, double wide mobile, and property I treated as if my own, so to speak and took care of everything, including spreading 12 yards of gravel to reduce great Lakes and mud pit driveway into flat, water and mud free area, rebuilt interior walls inside garage, insulated all interior walls, refrained man entry doorway from 24 inch interior closet door, to a normal sized exterior door with locking know and dead bolt. Then at owner's request, started building the addition to the garage. Keep in mind, this is coming up to 3 years I've lived here, never met owner, let alone talked to him on phone. Working on garage, I shattered my ankle requiring surgery and taking me out of work, putting me in a wheelchair. 6 weeks go by and rep happens to stop by, found out I shattered my ankle building addition to garage
. The next thing I knkw, The owner shows up telling me I have 5 weeks to come up with my own financing to purchase because he needs cashed out by May first of 2016 or he has a.cash buyer who will purchase at that time.
Now there has been lots of back and forth changes of plans and at this point I am scheduled to be out before the first of august, having paid every payment on time, never missed one payment, and I received summons yesterday for lawsuit?! I need help!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Did you every get an agreement in writing regarding you purchasing the house? What is the nature of the summons you received, an eviction?

I have not heard back from you. Regardless of you situation, the fact you were served with a Summons is of great concern and you need to retain local counsel immediately to avoid negative action against you including a Default Judgement.

While the Washington State Bar does not maintain a lawyer referral service, the Bar does have a list of County Bars that can assist you with contacting a lawyer in your area: http://www.wsba.org/resources-and-services/find-legal-help

In addition, there is www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. Both of which rate lawyers based on peer and client review.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer at the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.