LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

My mortgage company red a property management company to

Customer Question

My mortgage company hired a property management company to oversee my condo. I currently live in Washington State, my condo is in Myrtle Beach,so. The locks were changed without my knowledge and the property management company retained the only keys and key codes to the property. My door was left unlocked and my condo was ransacked of close to 25,000 worth of items and damages. What recourse to I have against my mortgage company and the company they hired?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Margaret,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The management company was grossly negligent in protecting the personal property that you have in your condo, and presuming that you can prove that the management company, through one of their employees, left the door unlocked which allowed the theft to occur, then you can sue the management company for the loss you sustained. In fact they almost certainly have liability insurance that will cover your loss.

If you have homeowner's coverage on the condo you should simply make a claim with your own insurance company and then allow your carrier to subrogate the claim against the management company. And under a theory of Agency Liability, you could also sue the mortgage company for liability based on the actions of their Agent, the management company.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Margaret,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Doug