Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I signed a contract with Lowes new roof including removing

Customer Question

I signed a contract with Lowes for a new roof including removing original slate roof. I paid in full the cost of the job and now Lowes has halted completion of the install requesting additional funds. As of right now they are putting tarp on my roof. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Are they giving you a reason for their stopping work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I paid 10,528.00 for the roof repair and now they are telling me they need an additional 2,000 for boards they need to complete the job. I signed an install contract with Lowes on July 4th.

Was there anything in the contract that allowed them to charge extra? Many contracts state that the figures in there are estimates only and the numbers may change.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I hit send too fast - the additional amount is to cover 40 sheets of plywood that needed. The house was building in 1888 and the slate portion of the roof is original - which was discussed with the sales specialist in early July.

Did the contract allow for additional charges?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The sales person said he couldn't see anymore than probably 500 if there were damaged plywood.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At this point, I want my money back and since they have halted work I need the money back quickly that I can get the roof repaired before a major storm.

Is that in writing? What I'm trying to find out is if there is a writing that says that the amount can be changed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only for rotted wood. But there is a note that states that "any work or material not specified is not included in this contract. Any charges or additions will be at the additional charge for the material and labor"

You can hire a lawyer and pursue them and claim "bait and switch". BAsed on what I've read and hear most contracts with Lowe's end up having additional amounts added on to them and they never actually do a job for what is quoted.

To do that you would need to get a lawyer and then get another roofer out there to look at the house and see if there is a lot of plywood that needs changing.

You can argue with the Lowe's home office but you're not going to get much accomplished by that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I will reach out to a local attorney here.

You're very welcome.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.