Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I rent a property use in PA. The building was on fire and

Customer Question

I rent a property for commercial use in PA. The building was on fire and damaged the Air Conditioning Unit. We have not had air conditioning for 2 months and the landlord keeps putting us off. What are our rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. (Here) is my profile. Please give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Your rights would be governed by the commercial lease agreement you signed. Normally, this would be considered a material breach for which you could apply different types of remedies. For example, you could give a deadline notice by which the LL must fix the problem or you will call a repair contractor on your own and get the job done and deduct the cost of it from the rent owed. Or, you could give a similar notice and then terminate the lease and go elsewhere. Or, you could apply a reduction to the rent based on the diminished value of the leased premises for no A/C during the summer.

But the point is that you must look to the lease to see what remedies you have for a material breach. The ones I have listed are some of the most common remedies.

Note: Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you for using Just Answer.