P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.

Our Condo HOA has a very strict rule that says if a vehicle

Customer Question

Our Condo HOA has a very strict rule that says if a vehicle is parked in a visitor space for more than 4 hours the owner is fined $50.00 per time. The iwner is required to get board approval if parked for more than 4 hours. Is this legal? Can they place a lien on the property if it's unpaid?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

An HOA is, in many ways, similar to a small city. They can pass and enforce rules, impose taxes (HOA fees), and generally regulate how the homes within the HOA are to be used.

So they can regulate parking.

And if fees are not paid? They can impose a lien on the property.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the HOA can not make such rules, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding