RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

I received a notice to vacate on July 22nd. I'm month to

Customer Question

I received a notice to vacate on July 22nd. I'm month to month in Lousisiana. That's Not 10 days before month end? Holidays and weekends don't count from my reading. For 2.5 years my landlord paid water. It was cut off Monday the 25th. Is this legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm current with my rent for the month of July.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. No, it would not be legal for two reasons. First, the tenant or the landlord may terminate or change the terms of the lease with ten (10) days written notice before the end of the month. The 22nd would be inside of the 10 day time frame and not be sufficient. Second, the landlord CAN NOT use self help to remove you from the rental. By that, I mean he can not cut off the water to force you out and that action is illegal and you can sue for damages. As such, the landlord can give you notice today, to vacate at the end of August but the notice given in July, would not be timely and this was not proper.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!