Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

Should the landlord sign the lease before asking the tenant

Customer Question

Should the landlord sign the lease before asking the tenant to sign or is it done at the same time?
I've lived in my apartment for 5 years. This is my first lease and the landlard is asking for a $1,200 security deposit. You can count the number of times I've been late paying rent on one hand. Is this fair?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Assuming the parties do not sign simultaneously, Landlord's will sign after the tenant has signed. It is rare that a landlord will sign first. It is generally required that the tenant sign first so the title is not encumbered.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.