Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I lived in student apartments in denton tx 2 years. My first

Customer Question

I lived in student apartments in denton tx for almost 2 years. My first set of roommates we nice sweet and kind. My second set not so much. I requested to be transferred to another apartment because of the way my roommates were threatening me.Calling me out of my name and racial slurs. I was told it was $500. I let them know I would work on getting the money. A couple of months later I had the money. Request was denied. I get home from work one evening from work and my clothes had been removed from the washer to on top of the dryer and they were soaking wet. Upset I left and went to Walmart. I call my apartment crying and upset they told me its too close to closing from them and to call back tomorrow. I told them it was an emergency they hung up. I come back and my roommate starts laughing as i was on my way to my room.Furious at this point I told them what was on my mind. she said she didn't care she was waiting on me to move. I said im not going anywhere. We continued to go back and fourth. she threatened me and i threatened her back. Conveniently enough her friend recorded the situation and sent it to our property manger. They evicted me despite my many attempts to removed myself from the situation. They said that since she filed a police report (that there is no record of that i can find) against me that I could no longer stay there. Now they are trying to stick me with the bill from the rest of the lease term. I feel like im the victim and got kick out on the street to defend for myself. I feel like i shouldn't have to pay anything but im not a lawyer and I really dont know what else I can do at this point but check and see what my options would be.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only thing you can do at this point is file a civil suit against her and the management company in small claims court for breach of the lease and misrepresentation, since you both were in a mutual verbal argument and you say there is no police report and if they were going to evict on the basis of that argument, both parties should have been evicted since the argument was mutual.
That is really the only recourse you have, taking the roommate and the management company to court over breach of the lease.