KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.

If your neighbor permits you to place your dock on the edge

Customer Question

if your neighbor permits you to place your dock on the edge of their property along a public easement, what are the guidelines or laws
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am happy to assist.

So you say that there is an easement already to the public. Is this filed with the registry of deeds? You should check the registry of deeds in the county where the property is located and look up the address for your neighbor. Whatever that recorded easement says are the guidelines that you have to follow.

If what you are doing is not addressed in there, then you can make a separate arrangement with the neighbor. Best to do so in writing.