Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Gave 60 day notice in TN lease, left apt on day 58, (which

Customer Question

Gave 60 day notice in TN lease, left apt on day 58, (which would actually be the 1 year lease being up) they are now billing me for the two extra days for prorated rent, trash, sewer, water, and keeping my security deposit, ect. stating "I had to give them 60 days" so regardless, since my notice was given on the 3rd, I have to pay.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: TN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Well, they gave a paper stating - Dates may be changed upon written notice of the leasing office. Along with other things, my point to them was, since they took my key on the Morning of the 29th, and knew I moved out on the 28th, by doing so they accepted the fact that I had moved on that date. My only mishap was not getting it in writing from the person who took my key.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Are you a month to month tenant or did you have a fixed term written lease?

If a written lease, did it permit early termination? Did it allow proration of partial month's rent?